how to add MSCHAPV2 Retry Max

John.Hayward at wheaton.edu John.Hayward at wheaton.edu
Thu May 12 20:25:43 CEST 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Alan DeKok wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 09:10:18
> From: Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
> Subject: Re: how to add MSCHAPV2 Retry Max
>
> John.Hayward at wheaton.edu wrote:
>>>  Storing data for (potentially) 100's of 1000's of users means "use a
>>> DB".
>>
>> I was hoping to only store the value of retry remaining when there was a
>> failure of authentication for the session.
>
>  What's a "session"?
I probably used the wrong term here.  What I intended to say was something
like a "Negotiation" sequence.  In rfc2759
====
9.1.5.  Failed hack attack with 3 attempts allowed

                          <- Authenticator Challenge
        Peer Response/Challenge ->
                          <- Failure (E=691 R=1), disable short timeout
        Response (++ID) to challenge in Failure message ->
                          <- Failure (E=691 R=1), disable short timeout
        Response (++ID) to challenge in Failure message ->
                          <- Failure (E=691 R=0)

====
Keeping track of the number of retries used in the current "Negotiation"
sequence is what I am attempting.

>  The RADIUS server doesn't track sessions.  They're stored in a DB.
> (Accounting start / interim / stop).  The server tracks EAP
> authentications, but that's different, and the EAP module already
> implements a retry counter.
>
>  MSCHAP authentication doesn't involve the idea of "sessions".  Look at
> rlm_mschap: there is no session tracking.

I'll look at EAP module and see if the retry counter could be used to keep
track of the retries of a particular "Negotiation" sequence of the MSCHAP
authentication.

johnh...