new rlm_sql connection pool logic

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 20:31:06 CEST 2011

On 10/17/2011 06:11 PM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

> DEVELOPERS NOTE: From this point onwards any new modules which use a
> pool of connections, or would benefit from a pool of connections but
> doesn't use the connection API, will not be accepted.

Can we add / will you accept a patch for opening connections in the
background / a thread? Could be a generic per-pool option. There's some
code in that LDAP branch I created a while back.

This is particularly important for rlm_ldap; lots and lots of .ac.uk
people have problems with FR behaviour during LDAP outages. Even setting
net_timeout really low, you incur net_timeout on each request before
RLM_FAIL and configurable failover can kick in.

(n.b. I don't personally use LDAP, but I'll port the LDAP code to use
the connection pool if this will help...)