FreeRADIUS can't make progress under certain load

Alan T DeKok aland at freeradius.org
Sat Sep 10 20:15:01 CEST 2011

rihad wrote:
>>    The server *is* dropping the authentication requests.  See the log
>> output you posted.
> The current ones, yes, but alas not the new ones. We only get the
> "conflicting packets" messages when the system is under load, like when
> a "heavy" NAS reboots.
> The code fix seems easy though.

  The code fix is wrong.  It won't do anything.

  You asked for help on this list.  We gave you help.  Rather than
believing us, you insist on breaking the server even *more*.

> I'm not blaming anyone.

  Nonsense.  You stated clearly that FreeRADIUS couldn't handle the
load.  It can handle the load.

  The reason it's not making progress is that *you* broke the system,
and *you* are ignoring our advice.

> Thanks for the great software and for sharing it
> with us. The great thing about open source is that I can tweak it to my
> needs. I'm not saying this is the best way to get rid of the problem.
> But it may be the easiest and the quickest.

  Cutting your leg off will stop the pain from a broken toe.

  That doesn't make it a smart thing to do.