FreeRADIUS can't make progress under certain load

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Sun Sep 11 10:33:47 CEST 2011

On 09/10/2011 11:45 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
> rihad wrote:
>> BTW, I'm not sure why, but
>> under comparable workloads openradius does not exhibit this problem.
>    Look at the source code to OpenRADIUS.  It doesn't do duplicate
> detection that's suggested by RFC 5080 (which I'm the author of).  This
> is understandable, because the most recent release of OpenRADIUS is 4
> years ago, before RFC 5080 was published.
>
>    So OpenRADIUS is worse than FreeRADIUS.  It will process both the old
> and the new request, which *increases* the load on your system.  And it
> *won't* tell you that there's a problem.
>
>    You are making a very, very, common mistake.  You see an error
> message, and you're trying to get rid of the error message.  You are
> *not* trying to understand the problem.  You are *not* trying to solve
> the real problem.
>
>    Go find out why something is blocking FreeRADIUS.  And this is bad, too:
I think I solved the issue by configuring max_requests so that it brakes
at the right time.
It wouldn't be bad to mention in radiusd.conf that max_requests divided
by cleanup_delay should be set by the administrator to a value that is
the expected maximum req/s supported by the system.

Just my 2 cents.