FreeRADIUS can't make progress under certain load

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Sun Sep 11 15:31:32 CEST 2011

>> Also, if you think processing the accounting data might be slowing down authentication processing you might want to consider using a detail writer and detail reader virtual server (there are examples in sites-available, robust something or other). The server can spool accounting requests to a detail file very quickly, much quicker than rlm_perl could process them. The reader intelligently throttles based on server load, so unless the billing software needs to be notified in real time of a client connecting or disconnecting, it's a very good solution for dealing with load spikes.
>>
> Thank you, Arran, I think the problem was solved because new requests are no longer accepted when the system is under heavy load, so FreeRADIUS can sustain the load spikes until they're over.

Undoubtedly. What I was saying is that you might want to prioritise traffic during a spike so that processing authentications take precedence over processing billing data, so your customers get a more reliable service, and can reconnect quickly.

But yeah, i'm done with this thread. Seems like you have something that works for you... and i'm open to ideas for documentation, but your use case is a-typicial, and honestly I think tuning the number of worker threads is a better way of achieving what you're doing.

Anyway we won't be changing the documentation, and we won't be adding your modification to the server.

TTFN

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Waging war on ignorance and apathy one Access-Challenge at a time.