FreeRADIUS can't make progress under certain load

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Mon Sep 12 08:22:02 CEST 2011

On 09/12/2011 01:14 AM, Alan Buxey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> It's a working one. Just think of it: some of the new requests get
>> dropped because the server thinks it can't handle them right now: it has
> but the server can handle them - you jst need to fix your bottleneck.
> what is the bottleneck in your system? I'm going to guess its a database.
> it usually is. what is your database?  MySQL?  do you have indexes?
> do you clean up old junk?   I have FreeRADIUS with postgresQL and can happily
> do 10k auths/second

Yes, MySQL, indexed. The billing software itself (abills.net.ua) is
bulky and convoluted, written to be extremely inefficient. The box can
do probably 30-50 req/s when a NAS reboots (judging by the logs). But I
at least found a way how to easily let it crawl through. All I wanted
was to find out how to drop new requests under heavy load. This will buy
us a year or two.