First steps in 3.0

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 14 16:10:36 CEST 2012

Stefan Winter wrote:
> If not defining a pool in 3.0, rlm_sql behaves very greedy.

  Well... the whole point of the new pool configuration is to use it.

> It opened
> one connection to the server to deliver my SELECT, and immediately
> closed it again:

  It looks like the defaults aren't set when there's no "pool" section.
 I'll go fix that.

> Of course you could say: your bad, why didn't you configure the pool!
> That's right (and now that I've realised it, I will of course work with
> pools right away), but it creates surprises for people who just run 3.0
> with their 2.1 config. According to -users, that seems to be a popular
> thing to do, judging from the many 1.x -> 2.x conversions going wrong.

  That's why there's raddb/README.  It documents how to convert the
configuration.

> For backwards-compatibility, it might make sense to convert the
> num_sql_socks statement into a pool block implicitly, like:
>
>         num_sql_socks   = 2

  For various reasons, that's hard to do.  And the conversion / upgrade
is documented.