zeromq module thread safety

Alex Massover alex at jajah.com
Thu Aug 16 18:30:06 CEST 2012

Hello,

We're using mod_event_zmq module (slightly modified, we use different socket type and IPC instead of TCP), and experience crashes.

As far as I understood the module it creates ZMQ context and all event sent by using same context.
Events callback is called from different threads, isn't it? And can be a situation when different threads access send() api on this context simultaneously.

ZMQ guide strongly prohibits doing that: " You MUST NOT share ØMQ sockets between threads."

And when I do a mutex around send() there're no more crashes (at least today).

Am I missing something or mod_event_zmq is potentially dangerous?

--
Best Regards,
Alex Massover