freeradius and DHCP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 28 12:34:20 CEST 2012

Wegener, Norbert wrote:
> http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-devel/2012-January/006666.html
> which says:
> It's time for everyone to toss the ISC server.
>
> Is the last statement the more recent one?

  Yes.  Whenever I get around to releasing 2.2.0, it will have full
support for DHCP.

> Can freeradius completely substitute ISC dhcp and are there (greater)
> real life FR-DHCP installations around?

  There are multiple FR-DHCP installations.  There aren't many, but
there are people using it.

  As of now, the main DHCP code is stable.  Fajar submitted some patches
to make the DHCP code use the SQL IP pool.  Arran added a conversion
script, from ISC "leases" file to the SQL IP pool.

  I would suggest trying the v2.1.x branch of git.  There may be some
performance issues (i.e. less than 100's of leases/s), but it should work.