DHCP + sqlpippol test, v2.1.x

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 19 08:36:14 CET 2012

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> I'm testing some modifications to make DHCP able to allocate dynamic
> IP address using sqlippool. It's only tested with one client, but it
> should be able to assign dynamic IP address (smallest ip address
> first, due to sorting). The modification is purely config files
> addition/modification, no source code change. Current version is here:
> https://github.com/fajarnugraha/freeradius-server/commit/8af7142

  It looks very nice.  I'm a bit surprised that it's that simple.

> Static IP allocation SHOULD also be possible by having expiration time
> far in the future (e.g. 2100-01-01 00:00:00) on radippool table, and
> modifying the query to NOT overwrite the expiration time on that
> scenario. This hasn't been implemented though.
>
> Any thoughts on these changes? Perhaps there a simpler way to implement it.

  The changes could be simpler.  A lot of the code in policy.conf is
site-specific, and doesn't need to go into the server core.  My $0.02:

dhcp.sqlippool_request
 - this is good, it "patches" the DHCP packet so that the SQLIPPool
   module understands it

dhcp.sqlippool_reply
  - this is good, too

  The sites-available/dhcp-sqliipool text is not necessary.  Just put
the sqlippool examples into the existing DHCP virtual server.

  The SQL sample configurations for MySQL are good.

  I'll pull part of it into the v2.1.x branch.  Please check that in a
day or so, to see what needs to be done in order for it to work.