Why using username instead of user id?

Morteza Milani fireboy.mrtz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:45:57 CET 2012

I couldn't get my answer!

> On one of my systems, we use ids. It's somewhat complicated though:
> - use stored procedures, as I need to use several statements to
>  achieve the same functionality. It's better than joins (which is very
>  expensive in mysql cluster)
>- lookup user id based on username (on an additional table, obviously)
>- lookup other properties (e.g. radcheck, radreply, etc.) based on the id

The only extra step required is to lookup user id from another table. Then
we can use it instead of username in all queries. To achieve this, we can
set User-Name to that id. Maybe I'm missing something.

I really want that "live" and "historical" tables implemented. I have 35000
users and I need fetching data from radacct for statistical analysis. It's a
heavy table!

Morteza Milani