Use of libtool && libltdl

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 3 13:19:50 CEST 2012

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Yeah, libtool is vile +1 kill it.

  Also the version in the server is very old...

> One thing to note: if at some point we want to build FR as a native
> windows app, it will be necessary to move the server core into a DLL.
> This is because DLLs cannot load symbols in EXEs in Windows. libtool
> sort of "handles" this for you, so if we kill it we'll need to handle it
> ourselves.

  Sure.  Or in the short term, statically link the server.

> But TBH that shouldn't be hard; the EXE would just be a stub that called
> the server entry point in the DLL.

  Yeah.  There really needs to be a "libfreeradius-server.a" library.
It should have all server-side functions.  But not the socket handling
code, which can stay in the main exe.

  There's also a pthread-win32 library, and a dlopen() wrapper for
Windows.  So portability should be really minimal.