Time-of-day RADIUS accounting

Peter Lambrechtsen peter at crypt.co.nz
Thu Sep 13 21:58:28 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM, DataWizApp <datawizapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder whether RADIUS can be easily extended to track the usage in
> every hour (or 30 mins) of the day?
> The current ACCT START/STOP and INTERIM UPDATE INTERVAL are
> per-session basis and hence it is hard to track the usage of each
> session in every hour.
> I can imagine that this would face some performance issue with many
> flows, but I think this feature will be very useful for time-dependent
> usage charging.
>
> It would be great if anyone gives me some insight on this.

What you're asking for isn't a function of a Radius server, but of the NAS
(the box that is sending the requests) and the backend database you use
with FreeRadius.

What you would need to do is have frequent Interium updates being sent to
FreeRadius, then it checks the usage and if it's outside the time sends a
CoA/DM to disconnect the subscriber.
Otherwise writing a cron job on the server to check the session information
and send CoA/DM messages when the subscriber has gone over their limits.

This is standard functionality of FreeRadius, just need to configure it to
your needs.