Configurable timeout in rlm_exec

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 10:49:12 CEST 2012

On 09/24/2012 09:24 AM, Philipp Hug wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Currently rlm_exec has a hardcoded timeout of 10s when waiting for
> termination of the executed command.
> We have a case where this is is not enough and I'd like to have it
> configurable.

That's not completely unreasonable, but be aware that the server thread
is entirely blocked whilst waiting for the exec to complete. If all
threads in the pool are blocked, you'll have serious problems.

Basically: 10 seconds is a long to wait, so waiting even longer... I'm
kind of curious what you're doing?

Anyway, enough people already get confused about this w.r.t. SQL/LDAP
databases that are slow - the complain "the server is slow", when in
fact the server is *blocked*. So you might want to surround this config
option with BIG BOLD TEXT explaining this ;o)

Personally I think the option might be more generally useful for
*decreasing* the timeout!