Configurable timeout in rlm_exec

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 28 19:07:29 CEST 2012

Philipp Hug wrote:
> Even if it doesn't make sense for most users to increase the timeout it
> still makes sense to have the timeout configurable.
> Maybe someone wants only 1s timeout instead of the hardcoded 10s.

  Sure... I'm wary of adding more configuration options to the server,
tho.  It's already getting a bit silly.

  My $0.02 is that the 10s timeout is a helpful feature for the admin.
It means that bad things won't cause the system to go down.

  But as Phil said, the timer should probably be less.  And documented
in BIG LETTERS.  If your script takes more than 100ms to run, it's
probably broken.  Fix it.

  Adding configurable timers is just putting bandaids on a nuclear bomb.
 They're cute.  They don't do much.