insufficient permission for postgres tables in FreeRADIUS 3.x

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 19:29:28 CET 2013

On 13/12/13 18:18, John Dennis wrote:

> It seems odd to me that postgres requires permission beyond INSERT to

Well, calling nextval on a sequence is a modify, so yes - it is subject
to permissions.

> create a row having a unique key, but apparently after googling a bit
> this is the case for postgres > 8.3(?). If you're a postgres expert and
> see an issue with the above please chime in.

It looks ok.

TBH that postgres setup could be a lot better, but it depends on which
version of PG you're willing to mandate and a bit on taste (e.g. the use
of "VARCHAR(x)" everywhere is a waste of time - "text" is no slower on
postgres, and considerably less fragile when a field suddenly gets wider).

I would spend some time on it, were I not swamped with IP routing issues
at the moment...