The server now uses talloc

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 19 23:34:08 CET 2013

  For most things.  If you pulled recently, you may need to do:

$ git pull --force

  There were a few commits done out of order.

  But it works.  Both valgrind and the talloc memory checker report
minimal errors.  There are just a few listeners leaked on exit, which is
partly intentional.  That will be fixed once the listeners are moved to
talloc.

  The changes result in about 800 lines of code removed from the server.
 That's 1%, which is small but not negligible.  We expect more code to
be removed as we migrate everything else to talloc.

  We also expect that supporting "HUP" will become easier.  It may have
issues today, but talloc makes it easier to have better support for HUP.

  I haven't done any performance tests.  But the Samba people say that
talloc is 4% slower than malloc.  Our other tests show that most of the
CPU time is spent in MD5, SSL, or in accessing external DBs.  So I
expect that there should be no performance impact here.