Travis

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Feb 26 15:38:42 CET 2013

On 26 Feb 2013, at 04:29, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at IMPERIAL.AC.UK> wrote:

> On 02/26/2013 03:51 AM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> After hunting around for a couple of hours today for a decent build
>> system we decided to try out Travis CI.
>>

> Slightly curious why you didn't go with buildbot;

Time constraints. It took all of 10 minutes to skip the documentation and get a working (though not passing) build system with Travis, and it takes absolutely no time to maintain seeing as it's all centrally hosted.

> FWIW on other projects I've seen community members contribute buildbot nodes on many and varied platforms, which can help with coverage. As we've seen this week, ubuntu is not the entirety of Linux ;o)

True, though the problems with rlm_perl were actually down to the version of perl, and not the fact it was running on Centos. The segfault OTOH was a bit weird, so yes it'd probably help to have examples available of different Linux flavours.

I think the Travis team are working on adding OSX at least. I'm sure the list of supported OS will grow as interest in the project increases.

> Still, any CI is better than none. I wonder if it might be worth considering a small dev process change at this point to, which is to always commit/pull to a dedicated branch, and only pull that to master once CI/testsuite has passed (probably automated)? This might help others who base/build off master, and will leave master in a state where it always builds & runs. Just a thought!

Yes. That was the idea behind creating the vp_fixup and talloc branches. Unfortunately issues still sometimes appear when merging.

-Arran