Build ideas

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 16:22:24 CEST 2013

On 07/25/2013 09:24 AM, Bill Schoolfield wrote:
>> If you're referring to Red Hat freeradius rpm's then yes you're correct,
>> there is no devel package with the 2.x series because the header files
>> are not multilib safe. I believe Arran has just recently corrected this
>> for the upcoming 3.0 release, if so then the 3.0 rpm's will include a
>> devel package.
>>

> That's good news. Off topic a bit but can you explain multilib safe?

Multilib are systems which can have multiple copies of libraries which
differ by some criteria. The linker and loader have to know which set of
libraries you're using. In practice this is currently limited to 32-bit
vs. 64-bit libraries. For example on x86_64 you can have *both* 32-bit
and 64-bit libraries and executables, hence it's multilib. In our
terminology each of these represent a different architecture (i.e. i686
and x86_64) and on an x86_64 system both can be present.

But the header files used when compiling code *cannot* be differ between
architectures, otherwise it's impossible to correctly compile code for
different architectures, the same header files have to be used during
compilation.

Our packaging control processes in RHEL reject any development packages
which are not multilib safe for obvious reasons.

Usually multilib conflicts occur when a header file is generated during
a build which is sensitive to some aspect of the architecture it's being
built on. There are various solutions to this, the use of #ifdef's is
one common approach.

--
John