Need 2.2.2 [was: FR 2.2.1 issue]

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Sep 20 19:12:52 CEST 2013

On 20 Sep 2013, at 16:21, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2013 05:12 AM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to still work as intended, but I might have missed something...
>>
>> It appeared to be dropping through multiple case statements.
>>
>> This highlights why it's important for people to actually test
>> pre-release versions when the announcements go out.
>
> This is a serious bug.
>
> One can always apply a patch to 2.2.1 but then it always becomes an
> ambiguous question, are you running the broken 2.2.1 or the patched
> 2.2.1?

bash-3.2# cat VERSION
3.0.0+super_sexy_extra_things

bash-3.2# grep -i version src/include/autoconf.h
/* Define to the full name and version of this package. */
/* Define to the version of this package. */
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "$Id: c9fade5e7fbf3afbf28799ff7d53f7bf9fad9b76 $"
#define RADIUSD_VERSION 030000
#define RADIUSD_VERSION_COMMIT "a4c7809"
/* Raw version string from VERSION file */
#define RADIUSD_VERSION_STRING "3.0.0+super_sexy_extra_things"

bash-3.2# ./build/bin/local/radiusd -v
radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.0+super_sexy_extra_things (git #a4c7809), for host i386-apple-darwin12.5.0, built on Sep 20 2013 at 18:04:22
Copyright (C) 1999-2013 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors
PARTICULAR PURPOSE
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT

This was considered when doing the VERSION macros and associated autoconf code.

> That makes version information very difficult to manage and
> confuses people who want to download and build 2.2.1, they'll have to
> know they have to patch it before building and then track the patch
> information.

Yes it's an issue.

> The best solution is to spin a new release with the fix and bump the
> version. Yeah that kinda sucks but there really isn't a better solution
> when problems like this come up. [1]

We'll see what the project leader wants to do.

FreeRADIUS Development Team