freeradius-client with IPv6 and DTLS

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Tue Dec 23 08:49:48 CET 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 10:35 -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:11 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org>
> wrote: > I've modified the freeradius-client to simplify its API,
> remove all > IPv4-only legacy code and add DTLS support (rfc7360).
>   That’s a lot of work.  I’ve avoided doing that because the code in
> the freeradius-server implements almost everything RADIUS, and I don’t
> want to duplicate effort.

Hi,
 The advantage of freeradius-client is that it has a very easy high
level API and could be used with a simple config file without a low
level knowledge of the radius protocol. That is why I preferred to
modify that library, and the changes for DTLS weren't that large
actually.  They simply wrap over the sendto() and recvfrom(). The only
tricky part is that they serialize every communication over a single
DTLS session, and that would affect multi-threaded programs using that
library, as the sendto(), recvfrom() need to be atomic. I introduced
locks to solve that, but a proper multiplexer could be a better solution
for such programs.

Unrelated:
If I can mention a small omission in the DTLS rfc is that it doesn't
specify a key purpose in the certificates to be used for radius. For web
servers the "TLS WWW server authentication" OID is used in extended key
usage, but there is no equivalent for DTLS radius servers.

> > although the intention is to send back the changes as > pull requests
> to the original repository once they stabilize.
>
>   Arran and I have been working on merging your changes back into the
> main repository.  The points of disagreement are largely code style,
> methods, etc.  There are sometimes things which are easy to do, but
> which cause problems for portability, maintainability, etc.

Thanks.

>   As an example, the lack of a “configure” script in the repository is
> an issue.  We’ve had that discussion on the github issues page, but
> here’s the side effect:
>
> Mac OSX:
>
> $ ./autogen.sh .. .configure.ac:32: error: possibly undefined macro:
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL       If this token and others are legitimate, please
> use m4_pattern_allow.       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> autoreconf: /usr/local/Cellar/autoconf/2.69/bin/autoconf failed with
> exit status: 1

I'd really prefer to fix any issues that result of that change instead
of having the auto-generated files included. It is very cumbersome to
work with a repository which has 20 files modified because I changed
something in a Makefile.am. I've almost forgot to add all new files
because git status shows so many changes it is difficult to distinguish
what matters or not.

Indeed I could run make distclean before every git related command, but
that is very inconvenient. In any case, that removal doesn't affect the
patch set, as the set of files involved are distinct.

> $ ./autogen.sh … $ ./configure … configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile.in’

The autogen.sh run has failed for some reason in that platform. It's
best to fix that anyway.

>   I would suggest regularly checking out the repository into a separate
> directory, and seeing if it builds.  Or, updating the Makefile rules so
> that a “make distclean” will really clean everything.

I often use "make distcheck" which does that automatically.

>   I’ll take a look at the patches.  My guess is that most of them can
> be pulled over as-is.
>   If it’s all right with you, I’d like to pull over all of the IPv6
> fixes, and then do a release.  We can leave the DTLS code as
> experimental, and add it to a later release.

Would be nice. Note that the IPv6 changes break the API and ABI by
removing several helper functions. However, the removed functions were
simply a wrap over the standard socket (IPv4) library, so I find it
unlikely that will seriously affect any project using that library.

regards,
Nikos