Version consistency checks (v3.0.x and master)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 18:10:04 CET 2014

On 23/01/14 16:55, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> A common issue appears to be version mismatches between FreeRADIUS
> utilities/the server binary, it's libraries (libfreeradius-radius and
> libfreeradius-server) and the various modules.

And the dictionaries. Maybe a special comment:

# dict version=x.x

...and check for this when reading, aborting if it's different? Probably
will have to ignore w/ absent values which won't help with people using
2.x dicts against 3.x but, long term, it might.

> To help prevent this, all utilities and the server binary will
> perform runtime version consistency checks against the libraries
> they're linked to, and the modules they load.

The answer is probably "no that's crazy" but I don't suppose ABI /
symbol versioning helps here?