Version consistency checks (v3.0.x and master)

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Jan 29 16:13:55 CET 2014

On 29 Jan 2014, at 13:35, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> writes:
>
>> I'm guessing the majority of versioning issues before were caused
>> by people copying over old raddb/dictionary files into a new 3.0.0
>> config so it picked up the wrong dictionaries.
>
> I'd say supporting old dictionaries is crucial, given that you do mass
> attribute renaming like this

Changes on that scale are only done during major releases, which occur once every 4-5 years.

That change was made to master. master (the next major release branch) != v3.0.x (the current major release branch)

There was a less disruptive commit made for the erx/unisphere to v3.0.x which did not break compatibility. I believe i've mentioned this already, in which case you're being an ass.

> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commit/a5ad82aecc194f5f55153c351a62af9bb1c222a0

The alternative is that vendor documentation moves away from the dictionaries. This makes it harder for new users to create working configurations.

> The alternatives would be forcing simultanoues server upgrades or duplicated user databases.

In reality the changes in dictionary format will most likely be minor. Users will usually be able to manually alter older dictionaries to work with newer versions of the server.

If there was a major change in the format, a tool would be included to automate conversion.

FreeRADIUS Development Team