Possibilities for using winbind libs with Samba < 4.2.1

Herwin Weststrate herwin at quarantainenet.nl
Tue Dec 8 14:39:54 CET 2015

This question is mainly for Matthew, since he is the author of
auth_wbclient.c. I just tried to use that on our Debian systems, but
then I saw that Samba version 4.2.1 was required. It seems that this
version introduced the used method wbcCtxAuthenticateUserEx. Older
versions (4.1.something on the current Debian stable) do however have a
wbcAuthenticateUserEx, that looks like it does about the same thing, but
without the context-object that the first method uses.

Is there a specific reason that you used the functionality from Samba
4.2.1, or do you think it could be possible to make it work with older
versions of Samba as well?
I'm more than willing to actually write the code myself, but maybe you
had already concluded that it won't be possible to make it work with
older versions, than it would be a waste of time to try to make it work.

--
Herwin Weststrate