Updates to "unlang"

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 15:47:59 CET 2015

On 11/12/15 14:33, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

> People abuse policies now, using Tmp attributes as arguments and to
> hold return values has a far greater potential for confusion.

Yep. I use Tmp-* attributes a lot in policies. I don't consider it abuse
really; it's what we've got.

> By refusing to add proper functions, we're increasing real world
> abuse and confusion.

I understand the reasoning behind unlang being limited. Implementing
yet-another fullblown language is not a great way to spend resources.

I would probably make more use of the embedded languages for complex
policies, but none of the options suit me; perl is, well, perl. Python
although I love it, is a very poor choice for use in threaded environments.

Unlang is "good enough" but is sometimes messy. A few tweaks to avoid
some of the more onerous set/unset of Tmp/control: variables would
probably obviate any desire to move outside the server core for me.