Minor but fun changes today

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 16:35:24 CET 2015

On 10/02/15 22:05, Alan DeKok wrote:
> After some discussion, I moved the REQUESTs to using a talloc pool.
> i.e. it allocates a 32K chunk of memory for reach request, and then
> allocates REQUEST, RADIUS_PACKET, VALUE_PAIR, etc. within that.  If
> the pool runs out of memory, talloc() will fall back to using malloc.
> So there’s no downside to this.  We’ve made a few other minor
> changes, too.
> Preliminary performance tests show a 35% decrease in time (clock
> cycles, via valgrind) to process the default configuration, with one
> user:

Cool. I was going to suggest a talloc_pool() for REQUEST's a while back 
but never got round to doing any measurement.

I guess the pool size could be a global but it's almost certainly 
unnecessary - most requests won't be around for long enough for it to 

Glad to hear it does make a difference - nice going!

More information about the Freeradius-Devel mailing list