roadmap for v3.1.x

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 28 15:13:44 CET 2015

On Oct 28, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Jorge Pereira <jpereiran at gmail.com> wrote:
> exist roadmap for v3.1.x?

  We don't have a definitive roadmap.  We do have plans, though.

  Until now, we've tried hard to stay with C99 standards for the server.  This is good for backwards compatibility, as there are many people running weird OSes, or old OSes.  That backwards compatibility is now a problem.

  To solve this, we will move the 3.1 branch to using the latest C11 standard.  This means thread-local storage, C99 initializers, C11 atomics, etc.  All of these features make it easier for us to maintain the server.

  So anyone running RedHat 6 is sol.  Sorry, but that's life.

  If you're running FreeRADIUS on OpenWRT, you can continue to run version 2.  It won't be maintained, but it works, and doesn't have known problems.  It's fine for embedded use.

  If you're an ISP, enterprise, university, etc.  You can continue to run whatever you're running.  If there's a problem with v2, though, our response will be "upgrade".

  New installations should use version 3.

  People wishing magical new features should install the v3.1.x branch from git.  When we think it's ready, we'll start a 3.2 release series.

  We *don't* want to confuse people by offering multiple "stable" versions of the server.  There's only one "stable" version: version 3.  The version 2 release is "long term support", which will likely end this year.