Building RPMs

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:47:37 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Thought I'd have a look at building FreeRADIUS RPMs. I advanced
> from RedHat to Debian over 15 years ago, so not at all familiar
> with their repositories etc now. So apologies if the below is just
> me being stupid.

welcome to some of the pain I went through earlier in the year (hence some of those
GIT commits to the .spec file ! ;-)

yes, EPEL is almost necessary.....and Scientific Linux is very handy for putting
the devtools-4 package onto the system GCC 5.x nice..  ;-)   (ensure you
put it into system profile so you dont get burnt next time you log in! ;-)

> I think there should be an easy way for people to build RPMs, like
> you can .debs.

rpmbuild -bb   - you just need the required dev packages installed first ;-)

> Thoughts -
>
>  - building RPMs should be as simple as possible for anyone;

no. should be easy for competent people,  'anyone' should be able to just add
FreeRADIUS via an RPM or repo.  get latest 3.0.11 version via RPMs like many do with
Debian/Ubunty PPA files.

>  - you shouldn't have to add extra unofficial repositories to do so;

ha! tell RadHat to up their game, provide modern versions of packages and to provide
MORE of them :)  I cant believe people PAY for RedHat  :/

> (getting totally fed up of "I'm using 2.1.12 or 3.0.4" on -users,
> and wanting something useful and easy to point people at...)

the answer is the FreeRADIUS build system - new RPMs need to be provided there.

alan