3.1.x release...

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at jisc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 16:01:00 CEST 2016

>>At this point, if you need the features in v3.1., just use the v3.1.x
>>branch.  It's stable, and used by many people in production.

There are still regular checkins... This bugs our dev :-)

>  The only advantage to a "blessed" release is that it goes into OS
>distributions.  The disadvantage of a blessed release is that it goes
>into OS distributions for years and years and years and years, and
>doesn't get upgraded.  Ever.

So if we were to choose a specific Github commit, we should be ok. The
blessed release also gives someone paranoid enough about this reassurance
that that release is stable enough to go with it.

>  We just don't have time / bandwidth to support people using v2, v3,
>v3.1, and v4 all at the same time.  Especially because the OS vendors
>have made it clear they just don't give a shit about their customers, and
>refuse to (a) upgrade to a recent release, or (b) support their own
>paying customers.

Fair enough, I understand. I've had a moan at a certain distribution's
folks today about this.

>  If the OS vendors upgraded in a timely fashion, it would be easier to
>do v3.1.  But it would still be difficult, and we'd probably still skip
>3.1.

Ok... I'll suggest to our dev that we pick a commit and release that.

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator

t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
gpg: 0x3FCE5142
xmpp: stefanp at jabber.dev.ja.net
skype: stefan.paetow.janet

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT
No. GB 197 0632 86. JiscĀ¹s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower
Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.