Mysql/Mariadb support

Geaaru geaaru at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:30:46 CEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 14:52 -0400, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> > On 17 Oct 2018, at 14:13, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 17, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Geaaru <geaaru at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > i'm ebuild maintainer of Freeradius package in Gentoo and i'm
> > > trying to
> > > handle correctly changes related with api changes between mariadb
> > > and
> > > mysql client libraries.
> >
> >  Hopefully the changes aren't too bad...
> >
> > > Current mysql freeradius driver use standard mysql C functions so
> > > think that there aren't  needed changes about behaviour about
> > > this but
> > > I have some questions:
> > >
> > > Currently Gentoo permits to install both mysql client libraries
> > > for
> > > Mariadb and Mysql with a different path for Mariadb
> > > (/usr/include/mariadb/mysql.h) instead of standard classic
> > > (/usr/include/mysql/mysql.h) and in the same manner with a
> > > different
> > > naming on client libraries.
> > > For this, what could be a better solution for support both
> > > library from
> > > Freeradius devs side ?
> > >
> > >    a) add a new driver rlm_sql_mariadb with different include
> > > instruction and a different linking library ?
> > >
> > >    b) customize rlm_sql_mysql driver for support both... fwis
> > > it's
> > > seems that configure try to check for libmysqlclient library also
> > > with
> > > option --with-mysql-lib-dir
> > >         and with Mariadb linking it's for libmariadb.
> >
> >  I'd say (b).  I think it should be little more than updating the
> > configure script to check for both MySQL and mariadb.
>
> Yeah.  We're going to drop support for the MySQL library in v4.
> MariaDB is API compatible, so for now just fixing the configure
> scripts work.
>
> -Arran

Yeah, awesome. Thank you very much.
I agree with your choice, create an rlm_sql_mariadb means also double
configuration files that in this case are equals and for now it isn't
needed.
Could be apply this fix also on 3.x tree for a new release or in
alternative when will be release a 4.x version ?
Thanks again.G.