(4) eap_tls: ERROR: TLS Alert write:fatal:unexpected_message

Michel Verhagen mike at guruce.com
Tue Jun 15 04:41:54 CEST 2021

Hi Alan,

I finally managed to get back to this project. I have now built the
FreeRadius 3.0.x branch straight from Git. The server reports:

FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.24

When I try to authenticate using TLS (using the certificate ca.pem
created using ./bootstrap), the FreeRadius server outputs this:

(9) Found Auth-Type = eap
(9) # Executing group from file
/usr/local/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
(9)   authenticate {
(9) eap: Expiring EAP session with state 0xde98ecf7dd9de19b
(9) eap: Finished EAP session with state 0xde98ecf7dd9de19b
(9) eap: Previous EAP request found for state 0xde98ecf7dd9de19b,
released from the list
(9) eap: Peer sent packet with method EAP TLS (13)
(9) eap: Calling submodule eap_tls to process data
(9) eap_tls: (TLS) EAP Done initial handshake
(9) eap_tls: (TLS) Handshake state - Server SSLv3/TLS write server done
(9) eap_tls: (TLS) send TLS 1.2 Alert, fatal unexpected_message
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: (TLS) Alert write:fatal:unexpected_message
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: (TLS) Server : Error in error
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: (TLS) Failed reading from OpenSSL:
error:141A20F4:SSL
routines:ossl_statem_server_read_transition:unexpected message
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: (TLS) System call (I/O) error (-1)
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: (TLS) EAP Receive handshake failed during operation
(9) eap_tls: ERROR: [eaptls process] = fail
(9) eap: ERROR: Failed continuing EAP TLS (13) session.  EAP
sub-module failed
(9) eap: Sending EAP Failure (code 4) ID 5 length 4
(9) eap: Failed in EAP select
(9)     [eap] = invalid
(9)   } # authenticate = invalid
(9) Failed to authenticate the user
(9) Using Post-Auth-Type Reject

Do you have any pointers where to look next?

Thanks,

Mike.