Periodic Data Usage Reporting

Max James xxedlxx101 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 04:33:50 UTC 2022

Hey all,

I have followed the below "Periodic Data Usage Reporting" article found on
the freeradius wiki.
https://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/Data-Usage-Reporting

I am using the postgresql process-radacct.sql script which can be found on
the freeradius-server github.
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/raddb/mods-config/sql/main/postgresql/process-radacct.sql

The implementation was successful and works as expected, however I did
notice an issue that I can't seem to figure out myself.

If a users session ends and a new one begins, the next time the
fr_new_data_usage_period() function is executed, it seems to be inserting
the data usage for that entire session instead of only the data usage that
was accrued since the last time the function was executed.

The function reports usage as expected until it comes across users that
have a new session since the function was last executed. I've spent a few
hours trying to figure out the cause but I've had no luck. Any advice or
help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Max