AW: [EXTERNAL]: Re: FreeRADIUS / pam_radius

Senouci Briksi, Djelloul djelloul.briksi at wabtec.com
Wed Feb 16 14:57:07 UTC 2022

Thank for your quick answer.

Our use case is:
Freeradius server is configured with ldap, which holds users and their roles.
A role is e.g. 'admin' (who can do everything) or 'view' (who can only view/access some pages) or whatever.
The client (in our case witty-browser) knows how to react depending on user/role.
We had the idea to transmit/propagate the role as a Reply-Message to the client.
The client will get this information over conversation callback method.

I have found in book 'RADIUS, by Jonathan Hassell, O'reilly', that:
'Reply-Message' attributes are allowed in 'Access-Accept, Access-Reject, Access-Challenge'.

My idea is to do exactly what pam_radius_auth.c is doing when receiving Reply-Messages on PW_ACCESS_CHALLENGE, namely rad_converse(...), but this time also on PW_AUTHENTICATION_ACK.

Regards,
Djelloul Briksi