Query on UDP proxy socket using freeradius version 3.0.16

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 16 13:52:32 UTC 2023

On Jun 16, 2023, at 9:08 AM, saurabha badhai <saurabha.badhai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see freeradius bind to port 0, and then OS takes care of assigning right
> port, but why freeradius doesn't close the same port programmatically after
> finish the request?

  FreeRADIUS never opens a socket to port 0.  It opens a socket, and asks the OS to bind it to a port.

  If the OS leaves port 0 open, then there's nothing that FreeRADIUS can do.

> Few more questions,
> 1. Disable proxy ? How to do that, want to close socket fd w/o restarting
> freeradius ?

  You can disable proxying by updating the configuration files.  Look for "proxy" in radiusd.conf.

> 2. Observed sometimes freeradius running as a client, open 2 different
> proxy ports simultaneously to the same AAA ? When is this possible ?

  It's always possible.  It works automatically.  You don't have to manually assign proxy ports.

  That's why FreeRADIUS uses the special port 0.  As I said in my previous message, it's a signal to the OS to pick a random unused port.