dialadmin question

Kris Benson kbenson at sd57.bc.ca
Wed Aug 3 17:07:50 CEST 2005

August 2, 2005 at 16:42 -0800 wrote:
>hi all,
>
>can I use dialadmin for create users and autenticate this in a lan and
>exit
>out the router??
>

>LAN (many users) -> router/fw ---> internet
>			 freeradius
>		         server

Hi Damon,

I'm not familiar with dialadmin, but I think you would have some
difficulty coercing the LAN clients into authenticating like that.
Currently the only commonly-supported authentication method I am aware of
for 802.3 ethernet networks is 802.1x.  This would require either using
HostAP (rumoured to work on wired NICs) or upgrade your LAN switches to
ones that support 802.1x.

Alternatively, you could use VLAN sectioning combined with a web server
that can provide an authentication interface to the client.  This is a bit
of a pain, however.

Hope that helps,

-kb
--