Newbie: General Questions About Installation

Waylock WISP waylockwisp at true802.com
Sat Aug 6 08:24:10 CEST 2005

I'm attempting to get my hands around installing FreeRadius-1.0.4 on a
Debian Linux machine while also trying learn Linux better.  I've been
reading through all the various documentation, but had a few general
questions that I was hoping someone would be so kind to reply on.

1. All the docs show installation starting with the tar file, but no one
really specifies what directory to begin from.  Should I create a new user
"raduser" and copy the tar file into /home/raduser or is there somewhere
else that is the proper place to begin?

2. After I installed this all (in /home/raduser), is there a quick test to
see if the basic functionality works properly?  I read the
/doc/performance&testing but reached a problem while going through the
process because I couldn't find or run the /user/local/sbin/radiusd  There
are zero files in the /user/local/sbin directory.

If it would be helpful for me to post snippets of certain log files, please
let me know which ones and what parts and I'll do it.

Thank you!

-Chad