Migrating from one to another radius server

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Aug 11 02:35:53 CEST 2005

Oleg Motienko <motienko at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have to migrate our user database to another billing system but we
> can't migrate all users and reconfigure all routers simultaneously.
> Presumably we can migrate about 50-100 user of several thousands every
> day, and we want to make this process transparent for users.

  Why not migrate all user information to the new database, and switch
from the old one to the new one at 2am one day?  If something goes
wrong, you can switch back, and re-do the migration.

> 1) freeserver forwards request to oldserver and if user is still in
> olddatabase, oldserver process request.
> 2) if user is not found in olddatabase, freeserver forwards request to newserver

  RADIUS doesn't return "notfound". It returns "REJECT" or "ACCEPT".
So what you want to do can't be done the way you want.

  I don't see why you wouldn't just migrate all of the users at once.