SIGHUP bug to radiusd

Craig Hancock chancock at nd.edu
Mon Aug 15 21:45:11 CEST 2005

Hello all

I am not sure if this is the appropriate list or I should be posting
this to devel, but I think there is a bug in freeradius. Last week I
discovered when running the command /etc/init.d/radiusd reload
the radiusd process stoped accepting request, but still ran and
nothing is reported in the logs as to an error or a problem.

The init script reload option from what I can tell does a SIGHUP
of the running radiusd process. After running  strace on the process
id I attempted to test my radius server by stopping and starting the
process and then doing a reload randomly. That seemed to work
ok so next test was to stop the process and run it again, but then attempt
to authenticate to it a few times. Each authentication request was
successful
so while the process was running I attempted to run the init script with
the reload
command and what outputted to my screen was 'Segementation Fault errors'.
I haven't had the oppurtunity to dig down and look at what its Seg Faulting
on, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

My testing was done on the prebuilt rpm package that is supplied
by redhat version 1.0.1-2.RHEL4 as well as the stable version
of freeradius version 1.0.4. Our radius server in question provides
AAA service for VPN, and wireless users.

Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

If this is not the appropriate list I apologize

Craig T. Hancock
Systems Engineer, Infrastructure Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Notre Dame