Replaying data with tcpdump/netcat

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Aug 24 19:59:23 CEST 2005

Wesley Spadola <wspadola at porchlight.ca> wrote:
> Because we do not want accounting data terribly out of sync, we are
> shifting the accounting data over from our live machine to a test
> machine in increments of a few minutes, and I'm logging such data with
> "tcpdump -s 1500 -w raw.txt port 1813 and udp".

  Why not just log to the "detail" file?

> I hope to catch some log data that I can easily replay to the test
> machine while the accounting is shifted back to our live server.

  The "detail" file is meant to do exactly this.

> To replay that data. I am using "cat raw.txt | nc -u <ip of test server>
> radius-acct".  When the data starts to flow, I receive this output from
> radiusd -X:
>
> WARNING: Bad RADIUS packet from host x.x.x.x: unknown packet code 212

  Run tcpdump on the network again to see if "nc" is sending real
RADIUS packets.  I don't think it is.

  If you're sending *text* output from tcpdump to "nc", that won't work.

  If you're sending "pcap" data to "nc", then it probably won't work, either.

> I realize that the accounting port may not understand and handle
> authorization requests, but I do know that there are /some/ accounting
> requst packets in this raw file that FR should be handling.

  Nope.  The data you're sending it is not RADIUS accounting packets.
It's something else.

> Am I using tcpdump/netcat in the correct manner?

  No.

>  Should I capture /much more data/ for FreeRADIUS to work this way?

  No.  Use the "detail" file.

> Is there something else I could do to capture raw UDP streams and
> replay them?

  Don't.  You need to use the shared secret, for one.

  Use existing tools to replay traffic.  "detail", "radrelay".