FreeRadius and Interim Packets

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Dec 5 17:40:08 CET 2005

Matt wrote:

> Ok,
> I'm just checking because I've received different answers from different people.
> So the radius server will
>
> A) track sessions and will
> B) send a stop packet if no interim packet is received for the radius
> interim packet responce or what?  I'm finding very little information
> googeling for it, that's why I'm asking these questions.
>
> On 12/5/05, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
>

>>Matt wrote:

You mean you want "sessions" that do not receive an interim packet to be
expired? Sessions are tracked by the basis of the Acct-Session-Id which
can sometimes have a non-uniqueness problem -- see rlm_acct_unique

Tis means nothing for the detail file which will write each packet it
receives. It means something for the radutmp file. It means something
for the sql logging modules which will do UPDATE queries instead of
INSERT queries, by default.

The radius server doesnt send a stop packet to the NAS.

The nas is supposed to send the stop packet to the radius server. A stop
packet is an accounting packet with a status of "Stop".

If you were doing sql accounting logging, you could modify the db to
contain a timestamp field, updated by each insert/update.

Then a query that selects those records with a stop time of 0 and a
non-updating timestamp field can be used along with radzap.

There may be more elegant and smarter ways to go about this.