Free Radius and Squid

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Mon Dec 5 23:29:08 CET 2005

> AFAIK - NO - it is waaaaaaaaay to simple to work like that. Squid is only a
> cache. You could redirect an user to a login site with your firewall script,
> after he logs in, you could redirect him to squid ( at least his http
> traffic ). But again AFAIK there is no radius client module for squid. Nor
> it is planned in a way you want it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Edvin

Actually, I have tested squid using a radius plugin before to talk to
freeradius.  It worked for me then, but we never used it and it was also
years ago.

http://www.squid-cache.org/related-software.html

There are a few radius modules in there, you might want to give one shot.
The second one seems to still be active.

I don't know about a time limit however and I don't really know much about
squid to help.

This wifi entry talks about using authentication with squid, it might help
you.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/faq/authentication