LDAP: Variables in "identity" setting

Derrick Woo dpywoo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:18:01 CET 2005

The LDAP server we have set up is used to authenticate users based on their
username and password.  If I were to query from the (Linux) command line
using ldapsearch, the query would appear as follows:

ldapsearch -x -h ldap.domain.com -b ou=ldap,o=domain.com -D uid=XXX,ou=it,o=
domain.com -w 'YYY'

Where XXX is a person's username and YYY is their password.  That means a
person can only query their own information and not anyone elses (unless, of
course, they have someone else's username and password).

>From what I can see, it doesn't appear as though the %{User-Name} variable
can be used within the "identity" setting in freeRADIUS 1.0.1.  If that's
correct, does it mean freeRadius won't be able to be used for this
particular set up?  If I hardcode a test username and password in the
configuration as follows:

server = "ldap.domain.com"
identity = "uid=XXX,ou=it,o=domain.com"
password = 'YYY'
basedn = "ou=ldap,o=domain.com"

it binds correctly.  However, for our particular setup, both the username
and password's used to bind to the server need to be variable at run time.