allowed characters in User-Password?

Nils-Henner Krueger nhk at netuse.de
Wed Dec 14 10:49:20 CET 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Nils-Henner Krueger <nhk at netuse.de> wrote:
>
>>At first sight everything worked fine but after following the
>>log for a while it turns out that (too) many users were rejected.
>>
>>All the rejected accounts have a "%" sign in the User-Password.
>
>   See doc/variables.txt

I don't do freeradius administration on a regular basis, so maybe
I miss something obvious, but although I printed out variables.txt
and read it several times I still don't get the point.

>From variables.txt I understand that variables are referred to
by %{name}. But what I think I observe are acocunts like this

testuser at domain.de.td Password = "34fgT%45"

which seem to be rejected because of the "%" beeing part of
the password value.

>>How can I get around this problem? There are a few thousand
>>dialin accounts, out of them about 300 have a "%" in the password
>>so I can't simply call them and solve that directly, not speaking
>>about other chars that might make trouble, too.
>
>   Escape the % via \%.

Do I get it right, I put "34fgT\%45" instead of "34fgT%45"
in the users file?

Which other special chars need to be treated this way?

Thanks for your help!

nils-henner