Freeradius and LDAP : to be continued

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 15:02:53 CET 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:
> <christophe.gravier at univ-st-etienne.fr> wrote:
>> rlm_ldap: Adding userPassword as User-Password, value { & op=11
>
>   That's better.
>
>> modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
>>   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type LDAP
>
>   Yuck.
>
>   My quick answer is to edit rlm_ldap.c to have it *never* set
> Auth-Type to LDAP.  That would solve a lot of problems.

Interesting. I mentioned this to another querier the other day:

http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2005-December/049221.html

What then would the authenticate section look like to use LDAP?
Presumably something like:

authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP {
     ldap

...but of course then you get into what happens if you want 2 different
services in the same server, such as:

authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP-service1 {
     ldap1
   }
   Auth-Type PAP-service2 {
     ldap2
   }
   Auth-Type MSCHAP-service1 {
     mschap1
   }
   Auth-Type MSCHAP-service2 {
     mschap2

...etc. - nasty. Is it possible to do:

authenticate {
   Huntgroup Service1 {
     Auth-Type PAP {
       ldap1
     }
     Auth-Type MSCHAP {
       mschap1

   Huntgroup Service2 {
     Auth-Type PAP {
       ldap2
     }
     Auth-Type MSCHAP {
       mschap2

...although "Realm" might make more sense than "Huntgroup" in
understanding what I mean.

There's also the possibility of wanting to use fallback:

authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP {
     ldap
     pap

...although I'm pretty sure you can do that with configurable failover
and the above syntax is wrong.