radclient ignores 'Group' attribute

Bill Schoolfield bill at billmax.com
Thu Dec 15 20:15:49 CET 2005

Hello,

We are switching out a client from cistron radius to FreeRadius with
MySQL. To test things out without changes to the NASs, we are proxing
certain realms to the new FreeRadius server.

Here's our problem; the proxy works fine but the authentication
(actually the user lookup) is failing when testing via radclient. The
user lookup fails because the 'Group' attribute in the referenced
attribute file (-f file) is being ignored (not sent) by radclient.
Why is this? Is there a workaround?

The Group attribute is defined in the dictionary as:

ATTRIBUTE       Group                   1005    string

The attribute file used by radclient looks like:

         Acct-Session-Id = "6000006B",
         User-Name = "example at examp.com",
         User-Password = "example",
         Group = "default",