allowed characters in User-Password?

Nils-Henner Krueger nhk at netuse.de
Fri Dec 16 14:59:23 CET 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:
>>I miss something obvious, but although I printed out variables.txt
>>and read it several times I still don't get the point.
>
>   '%' is a special character.
>
>>From variables.txt I understand that variables are referred to
>>by %{name}.
>
>   Or, % followed by one character.
>
>>Do I get it right, I put "34fgT\%45" instead of "34fgT%45"
>>in the users file?
>
>   Yes.
>
>>Which other special chars need to be treated this way?
>
>   None.

I'm still struggling on this subject.

Now that I have a test system available I made several tests with
various radius and dialin client parameters with the following
result: As long as a "%" is in the password, CHAP never works,
regardless of escaping with "\%" or not, while PAP always works.

Am I lost with CHAP and "%" in password or can I do anything else
with this problem?

nils-henner