Windows WPA

Stefan Adams stefan at borgia.com
Thu Dec 22 05:54:02 CET 2005

Does anyone know how it's possible to log into a windows domain (no
local account) from a Windows XP computer using WPA when the user has
never logged in before (making cached credentials impossible)?

I work at a high school.  We have several mobile carts with laptop
computers that do NOT have local accounts for each student.
Therefore, each student is required to logon to the windows domain
using wireless.  This works fine using WEP.

However, using WPA, with the automatically supply windows
username/password/domain checkbox selected, a user that has never
logged into that machine before is not able to log on.  The Windows
computer complains that the domain controller is not available.  This,
of course, is true because there are no 'up' network interfaces.

But wouldn't it be logical for Windows to first supply the entered
credentials to the access point for authorization to the WPA WLAN and
then supply those same credentials to the domain controller?

Is that the way it works, is there some other way, or are people that
have never logged on to these laptops before condemned to never logon
at all given our new WPA infrastructure?

Stefan