Adding multiple realms

JD jd at appstate.net
Tue Dec 27 20:35:26 CET 2005

Hello everyone!  I am serious newbie and I apologize for my poor netiquette.
I am such a newbie that I cannot tell you what version of free radius that I
am running for I know not where to look.

It is running on red hat 9 box with mysql.

Currently we resell dial-up access; we have to provide the provider with a
"realm".  We currently have only one realm but we need 2.  I do not want to
keep the users separate; in other words I want the users that are in there
now to be able to use both realms with their user name; i.e.
someone at realm1.com and someone at realm2.com only one entry for both realms in
the dialup admin.  I also already have all the IPs entered for the access
provider as they were left over from the initial configuration.

So far I have checked in radius.conf:

proxy_requests  = yes
$INCLUDE  ${confdir}/proxy.conf

Proxy.conf has:

#
#  Configuration for the proxy realms.
#
#  The information given here is used in conjunction with the 'realms'
#  file.  This format is preferred, as it is more flexible.  The realms
#  listed here take priority over those listed in the 'realms' file.
#
#this one works
realm oldrealm.com {
        type        = radius
        authhost    = LOCAL
        accthost    = LOCAL
#       nostrip
}
#this is the second realm that I added
#it does not work; nothing comes across the log script that I use
#but the error the customer sees is invalid username
realm newrealm.com {
        type            = radius
        authhost        = LOCAL
        accthost        = LOCAL
#       nostrip
}

At the bottom it has default
realm DEFAULT {
        type            = radius
        authhost        = localhost:1812
        accthost        = localhost:1813
        secret          = sharedsecret
}

cd /var/www/dialup_admin/conf
admin.conf:

general_base_dir: /var/www/dialup_admin
general_radiusd_base_dir: /usr/local
general_domain: old_domain.com   #here it has the old domain; is there a way
#to add a second or am I just completely lost.  Sorry to be so general; I
#would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

J.D.

See you @ AppState.Net's Wireless Technology Open House - Boone  NC  Jan. 26

Covering Watauga County with Broadband for Everyone
828-265-3773