FreeRadius and Dlink Switch Authentication Problem

Kai Geek kaigeek at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 29 13:23:45 CET 2005

Hello,
i am using freeradius in my computer with the ip 10.0.0.6
i have a dlink 3226s model switch in my network and its ip is 10.0.0.250

i want this switch to verify username and password from radius server (10.0.0.6)

i have added 10.0.0.250 as a client to the radius servers clients.conf and users files and i introduced a user. but still it doesnt connect. where may be the error?
when i test locally, it seems as working but teh switch doesnt connect to radius?
thank you,

using command radius server (10.0.0.6)

kernel at debian#pico clients.conf

client 10.0.0.250 {
        secret          = 250
        shortname       = 1
}

kernel at debian#pico users

steve   Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "testing"
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1,
        Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
        Framed-Routing = Broadcast-Listen,
        Framed-Filter-Id = "std.ppp",
        Framed-MTU = 1500,
        Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP

#radtest steve testing 10.0.0.6 1812 testing
okay
what problem ?
when i test locally, it seems as working but teh switch doesnt connect to radius?