EAP problem

Graham, Robert rgraham at mem-ins.com
Fri Jul 1 06:35:07 CEST 2005

>You _cannot_ read the unicodePwd attribute (where the actual passwd
>lies) from AD.  It can only be written to, and then only under certain
>conditions (SSL/TLS connection, and if not written by an admin, then a
>delete/add must be performed in the same operation).

>This is why you should use ntlm_auth w/PEAP for AD auth.  You could be
>able to auth against LDAP (PAP) in a TTLS situation (not tried that yet,
>so I don't know how it would work), but you will never retrieve the
>unicodePwd attribute.

>Hope this helps.

OK.  Back to the drawing board...  I looked at my options regarding the authenitication method on the W2K client and noticed that I can also used Protected EAP (PEAP).  So I switched the client to this.  When I tried the authenitication again, this time I get:

rlm_eap: Identity does not match User-Name, setting from EAP Identity

I did more searches on this error, and tried several suggestions, from using the hints file:

DEFAULT Prefix == "MEM\\", Strip-User-Name = Yes
        Hint = "MEM",
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP

I also ensured that use_with_nt_hack was set to "no" in the preprocessor section.  I modified the proxy.conf file for the local domain:

realm  MEM {
       type            = radius
       authhost        = LOCAL
       accthost        = LOCAL
}

and no matter what I do I still get this error...

There was a post on the mailing list that mentioned that some patches were applied to freeradius in Nov 2004,  I took a look at the freeradius version I was using on my Fedora Core 3 box and it shows:

radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 1.0.1, for host , built on Oct  6 2004 at 05:25:02
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 The FreeRADIUS server project.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT.

I wonder if this is now my problem.....

I have attached the debug output:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 172.16.5.71:1645, id=235, length=93
        User-Name = "MEM\\RGraham"
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        Framed-MTU = 1500
        NAS-IP-Address = 172.16.5.71
        NAS-Port = 24
        EAP-Message = 0x02000010014d454d5c5247726168616d
        Message-Authenticator = 0xeeeaea4ed86a064f533da57687432cb4
rad_lowerpair:  User-Name now 'mem\rgraham'
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  hints: Matched DEFAULT at 41
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
radius_xlat:  '/var/log/radius/radacct/172.16.5.71/auth-detail-20050630'
rlm_detail: /var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/auth-detail-%Y%m%d expands to /var/log/radius/radacct/172.16.5.71/auth-detail-20050630
  modcall[authorize]: module "auth_log" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "attr_filter" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "rgraham", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: EAP packet type response id 0 length 16
  rlm_eap: No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP conversation
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns updated for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns notfound for request 0
rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for rgraham
radius_xlat:  '(sAMAccountName=rgraham)'
radius_xlat:  'ou=mem users,dc=mem-ins,dc=com'
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
rlm_ldap: (re)connect to mem-dc.mem-ins.com:389, authentication 0
rlm_ldap: bind as cn=administrator,ou=admin,ou=mem users,dc=mem-ins,dc=com/{secret} to mem-dc.mem-ins.com:389
rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: performing search in ou=mem users,dc=mem-ins,dc=com, with filter (sAMAccountName=rgraham)
rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
rlm_ldap: user rgraham authorized to use remote access
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns updated for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type EAP
auth: type "EAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 0
rlm_eap: Identity does not match User-Name, setting from EAP Identity.
  rlm_eap: Failed in handler
  modcall[authenticate]: module "eap" returns invalid for request 0
modcall: group authenticate returns invalid for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0